Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shaft!

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother…

I loved Shaft, both the movie and the man. He is the epitome of what every lady wants in a man… smooth, smart, confident, and of course sexy. I love the way that he commands respect even with just the way he stands, nice and tall with his shoulders squared away, ready to take on anything. Although I don’t like the way he treats his lady at times, he’s almost irresistible and truly reeks of manliness.

Compared to the personification of men in today’s society Shaft is on a totally different page. Nowadays it’s all about the meatheads who use violence to show just how manly they are. Sure, Shaft did use violence, but I don’t think he really went out of his way to be overtly violent. He was smooth and sexy even when dealing with other men. He just seemed to have a handle on it all and was always so laid back.

It kind of disappointed me when I read Matthew Henry’s essay about how Shaft’s sexual side has been transformed into violence in the new Shaft with Samuel Jackson. I haven’t seen it so I don’t really know firsthand what it’s like, but I think by making Shaft into a character just like the modern heroes we have in movies today you take something big away from his character. I liked feeling like Shaft was fighting for a better cause, not just to fight.

On a totally different thread, I really enjoyed the injection of politics into this movie with the sort of twisted triangle between the black panthers, the government (police force), and the mafia/gangsters. It was really interesting to me that even though Ben and Shaft were on different sides of the political fence they teamed up together to save a big drug dealer’s daughter from the mafia. In the end the political lines get completely blurred, but they are still all fighting the same fight against the white mafia.

No comments:

Post a Comment